Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Weighty Issues

A quick commentary on the post preggo body (because if you can't be honest in cyberspace...what are you doing here?):


1. I gained 40 pounds while pregnant-seriously! Started slow (only up 17 pounds at 24 weeks!) then PACKED IT ON (or "gave up" as my hubby said) at the end.

2. As I was not underweight prior to getting knocked up, this is a significant amount of weight. I think they recommend 25-35 lbs.

3. I swear that at least 5 lbs was swelling at the end- no joke. I had ham hocks. :-)

4. I swear that at least 20 lbs was Dairy Queen Blizzards and Culver's sundaes at the end :-)

5. Once I had J, I quickly dropped 25 lbs. Woo Hoo! The rest will fall off, right?


But the other 15 remained. On my hips. On my butt. On my thighs. Hanging off where my stomach used to be.


So, what's a mom to do? Joined weight watchers online and proudly, 3.5 months after J was born I was back to my pre-preggers weight. Awesome, right?


Well...here is my weighty issue:


Why is it that I WEIGH the SAME amount, but look COMPLETELY different? My hips are bigger (alright- I get the child bearing hips comments) and the weight is shifted into different areas. Troubled areas are no longer so troubled and areas I thought were ok (my legs?) now look like someone else's. Veins showing up in random spots, gasp- STRETCH MARKS, and cellulite...oh my! I was in a swimsuit last weekend and realized I am my own worst nightmare.


Can anyone else relate? I mean, I knew my life would change because of baby- but was not prepared for the radical body changes. I am trying to embrace a "new" normal (you know, the way I did when I packed on the Freshman 20, Sophomore 10, Junior "Skinny" and inevitable Senior "sorority" house gain). But, when all you want to do is have a smoking hot bod while toting the most adorable creature on Earth (I know I am biased) around- this is frustrating stuff.
Any ideas for a tone up? I understand it involves cutting the krispy kreme that I just devoured- damn work kitchen.

To end on a positive note, here is a picture of the most wonderful reason for weight gain EVER:



He turns 5 months today...more to follow on that later!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I would agree that the weight gain is totally worth it, and you can only resist Krispy Kream for so long right? But, if you do want a quick workout that is great, try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. There are 3 different 20 minute workouts and they will kick your butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Krispy Kreme donuts are laced with drugs. They're so addicting!
    Like Lauren, I like the Shred workouts because they're only 20 mins (but if you're like me, you'll be calling her bad names the entire time, which could explain my being out of breath). Knowing it will be over soon is the only thing that gets me through.

    ReplyDelete