Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Justice Served- on VDay

If anyone remembers my post regarding my run in with the law in November, I am happy to report that:
1. My $150 fine has been paid
2. My one hour traffic class (including videos of accidents, etc) attended
3. My 4 hours of community service- completed!

I don't know if anyone is familiar with Ronald McDonald House, but as a mom, it is so a place that is near and dear to my heart (that I am so THANKFUL to God that I have not had to utilize). When thinking of where to complete my community service, this was a total no-brainer. At the Lexington RMH, they have a need for home cooked meals served to the families staying there. This seemed to be a great way to give back (and, not being completely selfless- pay my debt to the law- ha).

Any sorority girl can attest, philanthropy is a huge part of being a member. What can I say, once a sorority girl- ALWAYS a sorority girl. I sent messages to my sweet sisters and a plan was hatched...but the only day open was Valentine's day. I didn't think anyone would want to help, but I decided to include the hubs and luckily- had some sweet sisters who were free and willing to help out!

4 hours, 13 lbs of hamburger, 13 packages of Spanish Rice, 4 HUGE cans of refried beans, 48 tomatoes, 5 lbs of lettuce, 5 lbs of sour cream, 2 lbs of salsa, 9 lb of tortilla chips and 80 chocolate chip cookies later- dinner for 60 was served. Whew!

I would love to thank Jess (and her sweet hubby Hays- oh! and our precious, Brady- due in ONE MONTH!) and the adorably darling Alicia for helping a sister out! Both of these amazing girls gave up a Valentine's Day on the town to help JM and I cook.

Now, not to get all gushy and bearing in mind that I did have a selfish alterior motive (community service)- I would highly recommend doing something like this on Vday. Chocolates and flowers are nice-and spending $150 on groceries for someone else's dinner isn't totally romantic- but the sadness these people are going through BREAKS MY HEART.

So, in 2012 when Valentine's is knocking at the door- think of those years past when you were crying into your conversation hearts over your crappy single life, wishing for a date; going out with girlfriends declaring you "hate" Vday, but secretly wishing your crush would ask you out; spending a ton of money on presents for you and your guy, only regretting it when your electric bill comes later that month- and do something that will give you some good karma for the entire year (depending on how sassy you are- I am probably good for Feb only (and the month's half over)- ha!).

My moral, no matter how ineloquent, is this: Volunteer more- it feels good. And don't get a ticket for running a stop sign when you have an open container in the car. See? Ineloquent.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. Even though you taught my boyfriend that nasty upper-lip trick.

    ReplyDelete