Friday, September 25, 2009

TGIF

TGIF! For years, I had no idea that it meant "Thank God its Friday!" You know what I thought it was? A 3 hour time slot for ABC in which Full House, Family Matters and Hanging with Mr. Cooper would come on. Now, that is some TGIF!

Funny how simple things were when we were younger. My husband and I were reminiscing last night about our journey in finding each other. You see, yesterday was my birthday and I always feel that after another year on Earth, you should contemplate who you are and how you got where you are today.

I was born at 9:40 pm on September 24 in Illinois. The doctors had told my mom they thought I was a probably a boy based on the ultrasound (darn fingers!) and when they said "Its a girl!" I truly think she was shocked. To further confuse her, they had run out of pink blankets and I was handed over in a blue one.

When I was 4, we made a big move from IL to WI. My parents bought a ranch on a river in a small town. I was distraught to leave my best friend, Jamie Brown and truly experienced heartbreak driving away. I soon forgot, however, when my parents let my sister and I sleep in the soon to be dining room in our Flintstone's sleeping bags while waiting for furniture.

The small town I grew up in was very political. All about who you were, what family you were part of and most importantly, if you were born there. Being a transplant, I never truly fit in and after leaving when I was 18, I have never looked back. Do you know the Rascal Flatts song "I'm Moving On"? This song sums up how I feel about this little town. Don't get me wrong- my parents still live there, in the same house I grew up in, but I have never had the desire to go back (although I miss them so!).

At 18, I convinced my parents to send me to the University of Kentucky. I majored in Communication and lived it up my 4 years there. My friends and I referred to ourselves as "Bar Stars," as we went out often and always seemed to be the life of the party, although looking back, I think that was all in our minds.

At the young age of 21, I "met" my husband at Kitty O'Sheas Irish Pub (May it rest in pieces). I had actually seen him many times, as he was a good friend of one of my best friends at the time. I ALWAYS thought he was hot, but things just never seemed to connect. That night, I had this feeling, that if I didn't talk to him, I would never see him again. I got his number from a friend and called him telling him "I'm hot, you're hot, we should go out sometime." Ha! How is that for BOLD!?!?


One year, 11 months later, JM watched me get baptized as a boyfriend. Two months later, we got engaged in the house that we currently own together. 9 months later, we were married in a small ceremony in Florida. 2 years, 2 months later, we discovered that I was pregnant. My, how life changes! The twists and turns of our journey together has been a wonderful ride!


I suppose that TGIF has been replaced with TGIA (Thank God I'm Alive) in my life. I am having a TGIA day today, which happens coincide with TGIF!

The only way to improve my outlook on life is if the CATS pull off a win against the Gators tomorrow. Unlikely, I know, but a girl can hope! GO CATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment